Impaired Driving Charges
As DUI Lawyers we’ve helped thousands of drivers with DUI and Impaired driving charges. You’re not guilty unless a judge says so, not the police or crown attorney.
Fighting Impaired Driving
Your defence to your starts the moment we meet to discuss your case.
Our first step to fighting an impaired driving charge is listening to get the facts and learn what happened;
- what lead up the the incident?
- what happened during, and
- what happened with the police officers, during and after the arrest.
For impaired driving charges the police are under strict guidelines for arresting impaired drivers and presenting evidence to the court.
After appearing on thousands of impaired driving cases often we see opportunities and issues with the police officer’s investigation. In discussing your case with you, we will point out these issues, explain where we see defences, and issues with the police investigations..
★★★★★ Best DUI lawyers in the GTA. They beat my drive over 80mgs case on the second court date after exposing problems with my arrest by the York Region Police. I thank them for the hard work put into my case. It was definitely worth the extra cost to hire them for this case. I recommend Charitsis Law to all my friends and family. D. Fairbanks Toronto.
Impaired Driving Defences
After reviewing the arrest and what happened we can explain to you where we see opportunities to;
- win your case,
- where the police may have made mistakes.
- legal defences to your impaired driving charge
- technical evidentiary issues
- areas where a resolution or reduced charge maybe applicable.
Upon reviewing your case we will be able show you our strategy for defending your charge. Read more about defences and legal arguments to impaired driving >
Trials and Pretrials
As explained in this video, not every case goes to trial. Prior to any trial we have an opportunity to meet with the crown attorney in a “pretrial” to review the case to discuss:
- what are the issues at trial
- are there any evidentiary issues
- are there sufficient grounds to support the charge
- can the charge be dropped to a traffic ticket
- is there a compromise available
Many times we are able to resolve criminal charges to traffic tickets without licence suspensions or a criminal record being applied.
Criminal Lawyer Nicholas Charitsis discusses
fighting Impaired Driving.
Legal Issues in Impaired Driving Cases
In preparing your legal defence we look at legal issues such as;
- Recent Drinking – Were you actually over the limit whilst driving, or when the police gave you the breathalyzer test at some point after you were stopped. Time is important to DUI cases. Read More about Recent Drinking Defences >
- Rights to Counsel – The police are obligated by law to advise you about a lawyer, make a lawyer available and to ensure that you have privacy will speaking to the lawyer. Where your rights are violated the charge can be dismissed. Read More on Rights to Counsel >
- As soon as Reasonably Possible – The police have a legal obligation to ensure that there is no unreasonable delays throughout there investigation. Arrests, Breathalyzer tests, and all facets of the police investigation must be preformed as soon as reasonable possible.
- Right to Trial within a reasonable time period – The prosecution and court system must under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms must have your trial within a reasonable time.
- Proof beyond a Reasonable Doubt – The judge in convicting a defendant must be 100% sure that you are guilty of the charge. Where a judge has a reasonable doubt as to your guilt, they should dismiss the charge. Read more on Reasonable Doubt >
Errors and Mistakes in Drinking & Driving Cases
Errors and mistakes do happen in criminal cases. We have also seen cases where “on paper” it looked like the police and prosecution had a strong case, only to see the case fall apart on the trial date due to minor mistakes, missing documents or legal issues from the police or crown attorney’s office.
Some mistakes can be fixed but others maybe fatal to the crown attorney’s prosecution causing the case to be dismissed.
Many times clients thought they were guilty of impaired driving, then we learn that technical and legally they should not have been arrested in the first place and charges have been dropped.
Impaired Driving – Experience Does Count
As impaired driving lawyers we’ve helped thousands of people fighting impaired driving charges, over 4,000 criminal cases and counting. We know being arrested for a DUI (driving while impaired) is devastating, affecting not only you, but your employment, your ability to drive and your family. There is a solution and we can help you.
As experienced trial advocates our team of of criminal lawyers, former crown attorneys, former police breathalyzer technicians, and medical experts ensures that no stone is left unturned in your defence and fighting impaired driving charges. We stake our reputation on doing everything to win your case with a “No Stone Left Unturned Defence Policy™. Our approach ensures a winning defence and we have the reviews and winning cases to prove it.
Call us 647-689-6014 to discuss your case with Toronto’s best DUI defence team today.
Your Winning Defence Team
As criminal defence lawyers we’ve helped thousands of people by successfully defending them in court. We know being arrested can be devastating, but there is a solution and we can help. As experienced trial advocates, our team of of criminal lawyers, former crown attorneys, and retired police officers ensures that No Stone is Left Unturned™ in defending and representing our clients.
We stake our reputation on doing everything to win your case. Our approach ensures a winning defence and we have the reviews and winning cases to back it up. Call us 647-689-6014 to discuss your legal defence with Toronto’s best rated criminal defence team today.
This site is for information only and is not meant to replace qualified legal advice by a criminal defence lawyer. The application and interpretation of law, impaired driving, DUI and drinking and driving, is constantly changing, the writers shall not be held responsible for any information that may be incorrect or out of date. The owners of this website recommend that anyone wishing to fight a criminal charge obtain qualified legal advice before doing so.